A Finished Quilt ~ Stardust
I may have set a record in amount of time to make a small wall hanging, but I’ve finally finished my Stardust quilt! This quilt is a small version (9 blocks) of the Stardust quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival. Several, several months ago, my aunt asked me to make a quilt to hang on the wall in her home. She gave me some size requirements and some colors she liked – golds, yellows, teals, browns. She loves flowers and nature. I didn’t really know of a lot of fabrics that fit those particular wishes until I saw Carolyn Friedlander’s Botanics line at Fall Quilt Market. I sent her a few design ideas from my new book and she told me to surprise her. Well….surprise!
Normally I like to take my quilts outside for photos in natural light, but since this is a gift and I absolutely did not want it to get dirty…and outside is covered in snow, mud and sludge…I decided to duct tape the quilt to the wall in our guest room for photos.
This quilt took me some time to put together, despite it’s small size. Since I knew this quilt would hang on a wall and people would probably look at it quite closely, I really worked hard to get things just perfect. I am so happy I took the time. These may be two of the harder blocks in the book but practice certainly makes perfect.
I wanted the design to pop and I also wanted this quilt to hang nicely (not too loosely), so I quilted a dense meandering design with thread to match the individual fabrics. I purchased Aurifil #2132, #4182, #2835, #1148 plus used the white I always use. This meant a lot of starting and stopping. I followed Amanda Jean’s great tutorial for burying knots during quilting.
I still need to attach a hanging sleeve, but this one will be off to it’s new home in the next week!