I took a break yesterday from a “secret project” to make a new pillow for my couch. I decided to bring some new colors into the room, which is mostly earth tones. I really love these prints, half from Anna Maria Horner’s Loulouthi collection and half from Tula Pink’s Parisville collection. The solid is Kona Ash. Since I am feeling much more confident in paper piecing after the Summer Sampler Series, I created my own templates for this pillow. I think it turned out quite well!
I quilted 1/4″ on each side of the seams and I love this little star it created in the center of the pillow.
The binding is a yellow print from Parisville. I was going back and forth on that choice, worried it was maybe too bold. But in the end, I think it adds a little extra punch to the pillow.
I plan on making one more pillow for the other side of my couch, but I will probably do another design with the same fabrics.
August 9, 2011 24 Comments
I am going to be offline most of next week so I wanted to leave you with something pretty to look at while I’m not blogging. I started cutting into my Parisville this week. I am really liking how the colors work together – this may end up being a nice quilt for my family room!
Also, I have signed up for a Twitter account so if anyone is over there, come find me! @FreshLemons I can’t promise I will ever say anything deep and meaningful but hopefully it will be another way to keep in touch! I’m having a lot of fun keeping up with all the Quilt Market tweets and pictures. It’s *almost* like being there.
May 13, 2011 12 Comments
Tula Pink’s Parisville has been one of those collections in the back of my mind ever since it came out. It isn’t what I usually buy…and probably wouldn’t coordinate with most of my stash. But all together it is just a beautiful collection. I decided to buy a couple fat quarter sets while they were still available. (I’ve found them both at The Fabric Quarter and Hawthorne Threads.)
I also wanted to share with you the progress of my garden plot. Thank you to everyone for all the tips when I posted my plan! I did rearrange quite a bit once I arrived and talked to fellow gardeners. I decided to put all my trailing plants (pumpkin, cucumbers, watermelon, etc) on one end so if they trail into each other it’s not a big deal. Then I also followed a tip from the comments on my last post and moved the tomatoes and peppers so they aren’t next to each other. A few other changes as well.
Here is the fresh plot when I arrived. There are hundreds of plots and after watching the gardens start all around me, I have noticed there are also hundreds of ways to garden!
And here it is after 3 days of hard labor. Excuse the poor photos, they were taken with my phone.
I fenced around it after I talked to another woman doing the same thing. She is hoping it keeps the geese from swooping in. Also, in my case and probably more importantly, it serves as a visual boundary for my kids so they don’t walk in someone else’s garden.
Where I planted the seeds, I amended the soil with Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil (I had good luck with this last year). So far I have planted seeds for the corn, various flowers, cucumber, pumpkin, beans and peas, and lettuces. I will be out next week so when I return I will plant the seeds for watermelon, cantaloupe and plants for tomatoes, peppers and herbs.
I am having a great time out there. Across the street are baseball fields so as I’m working in the dirt I hear the clink of the bats and the cheer of the parents. There is just something SO summer about it and it makes me smile. Here’s to a great season!
May 10, 2011 6 Comments
A few months ago I bought my first (and only) quilting die for my Big Shot Sizzix die cutter. Sizzix is getting into the quilting die game now which is quite handy since I already had the cutting machine. The half square triangle seemed a good place to start because exact size really matters. It made quick work of the cutting pieces for this mini quilt.
I am always inspired by the colorful quilts made by Rita of Red Pepper Quilts so I just picked some random bright colors from my fabric stash. Initially I just had a white border, but when I was auditioning fabrics for the back, I realized the additional turquoise border would really frame out the quilt nicely.
To offset the brights on the front, I chose Kona Ash and White for the back. The binding is a wonderful Tula Nest print.
I quilted this one free motion and it measures 26″ x 30″. I’ve put it up in the shop, but if it doesn’t sell it may find it’s way on my wall in my sewing room.
ETA: I forgot to mention I now have a Facebook page for Fresh Lemons Quilts. Come on over and join if you are a Facebook user. It will keep you updated on new blog entries, shop sales, and just all around fun things I find to share!
November 17, 2010 11 Comments