A couple weekends ago, on Mother’s Day, I spent part of the day playing with some of my Heather Ross fabric scraps. I made some scrappy log cabin blocks, just having fun coordinating colors and prints. This week I decided to turn those little squares into pillows.
I thought I would add some ric rac trim to the edges for added cuteness. I’ve never sewn ric rac to the edge of anything so I used this tutorial.
I quilted the front of the pillows to a piece of batting. Random lines…
The backs are just some cute prints I had laying around.
One of these pillows is being mailed out to one of my husband’s coworkers who just had a baby boy. The others have found a new home on my daughter’s window seat!
May 25, 2012 41 Comments
As promised, today I’m sharing the finished Candy Pinwheel quilt, made from my Candy Pinwheel block of the Festival of Half Square Triangles. (To see more on the block and quilt assembly, check out my Candy Pinwheel tutorial.) A few of you asked how I was planning on starting and ending my rows. As you can see, I decided to use a solid turquoise fabric. I really love this color, it’s probably one of my current favorites – FreeSpirit Designer Solid in Light Jade.
For the corners, I left off one half square triangle to give this angled look. I thought that was pretty cool…my daughter (the recipient of the quilt) almost starting crying because “my quilt is missing the corners!” Well, I still like it.
As I mentioned on Wednesday, I decided to make the Candy Pinwheel blocks either all warm or all cool colors. Mostly…there are always exceptions to the rule and I do have a few that used a warm/cool combination.
I quilted this with straight lines, 1/4″ down each side of the diagonal seams. I was actually a bit nervous to quilt this, because my daughter wanted minky on the back. I followed many people’s advice to just use a lot of pins and my walking foot (which I already use anyway) and really, the quilting proved to be a non-event. No issues whatsoever. And the end result gives a nice, poofy look to the quilted squares.
The quilt measures 39-1/2″ x 47″. It is bright, happy, super cuddly, and already much loved. And on a very random side note, does anyone know what kind of daffodils these beautiful flowers are?
April 6, 2012 63 Comments
I am so excited about this quilt! A good friend of mine is having a baby boy in a few months. Today is the baby shower, but I had pretty much resigned myself to not having a chance to get anything made in time. Yesterday though, I decided to challenge myself and try to make a quilt in a day. Or a day and a half to be exact.
So I spent the last 30 hours (ok, really probably 12 in total) cutting and piecing, trimming and basting, quilting and binding. Those of you that follow me on Twitter got to watch the whole process unfold.
I will be honest, by the end of last night, I was pretty sick of making stars. But I really love the end result. This quilt is for a boy, but really I think these are pretty gender neutral colors. The star blocks are 7.5″ finished, the final quilt measuring 37.5″ square.
Initially I was going to do straight line quilting, but I changed my mind at the last moment and did little free motion loop-de-loops. I’ve never quilted like this before, but I enjoyed the process and the result.
The binding is an adorable stripe from the Sarah Jane’s Children at Play line. Such classics. I can’t wait to wrap this present up…which I should probably do right now!
March 3, 2012 47 Comments