Better late than never, I’ve finally finished my family’s new picnic quilt. I started this one as part of a blog hop last May. That’s May of 2012. I ended up spending a lot of the summer working on book stuff and then I wasn’t motivated to work on a picnic quilt in the winter, and well, you know how it goes. (right??) So the quilt top sat and sat until a day before our trip up to the lake for the 4th of July.
This quilt is a simple 16 patch, with the individual squares measuring 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ cut. The fabric is a mix of Maude Asbury’s Crabtastic line and fabrics from my stash.
The quilt ended up pretty big (for me) at 80″ x 80″. I really wanted to use fabric from my stash for the backing and binding, so I chose a black floral from Denyse Schmidt’s Chicopee for the backing and a text from Architextures for the binding. I’m hoping those will both hide the dirt a bit as we take this quilt out for some serious use at the beach and park. I quilted it loosely with wavy lines about every 2 inches.
We already tested it out while watching the fireworks over Lake Michigan on Thursday evening, and it was just perfect for the job. I can’t wait to take it along for the rest of Summer!
July 5, 2013 40 Comments