I love making pillows. Sometimes when I get new fabric in the mail I just start itching to cut into it immediately, but I don’t really need anymore giant projects in the works. That’s how I felt when a few of the prints from October Afternoon’s Seaside collection arrived last week.
I combined these 4 prints with other 12 other fabrics in my stash. Inspired by the colors in the collection, I added in more yellow, green, turquoise, red and navy. I feel like my stash doesn’t have a lot of “vintagey” prints, but some of the Denyse Schmidt for JoAnns prints really worked as well as some American Jane Punctuation prints I have been saving.
From each fabric, I cut 4 squares 2.5″ x 2.5″, resulting in 64 squares. The pillow is 8 squares across by 8 squares down, with a finished size of 16″ x 16″.
I decided to do something a bit out of the ordinary for my quilting. I used my walking foot, but selected one of the decorative stitches from my sewing machine.
I just love the vintage patchwork look of this pillow. The back is a Riley Blake fabric called Go Fly a Kite. I’ve had it for a little while, waiting on the right project. The binding is the top fabric from the Seaside fabric stack.
Things will probably be a bit quiet the rest of the week on my blog as I enjoy some peaceful time with my family. Have a great week everyone!
August 8, 2012 25 Comments
When pulling fabrics for a child’s quilt, I seem to have a much easier time selecting prints, patterns and colors for a girl’s quilt. Part of my problem is that I tend to have a hard time finding “boy” fabrics that I like. But last summer Sarah Jane really hit it out of the ballpark with her Children at Play line. I just love her artwork, something about the innocence of the designs – paper airplanes and sailboats, hopscotch and dress up dolls, pinwheels and wagons.
I decided to take some of the little boy line and pair it with some of my favorite blenders in green, blue, yellow, orange and red.
It’s really fun to play with prints like stripes, sometimes aligning them horizontally based on the center of the block…
And sometimes vertically.
I quilted this quilt in a diagonal grid. It was the first time I used the metal guide that came with my walking foot. It was actually quite helpful! The lines are about 1.5″ apart. I marked the starting line and then just used my guide to work off from there.
The back is a lime green and the binding is a turquoise. The blocks are 12″ squares and the final quilt measures 36″ x 36″. I decided to list this little quilt in my shop – it is so lacking in boy items!
June 6, 2012 21 Comments
There are two types of quilts I just never get tired of making – squares in squares and quilts for children. Last week a friend asked me to make a quilt for her to give as a gift for a baby shower. She picked the fabric color theme and I got free reign on the quilt design.
I pulled a couple fabric stacks and she selected one with blue, brown and some Heather Ross goldfish fabrics. (Sadly, this is just about the last of my goldfish in bags. End of an era!)
Each block has either two or three fabrics. They measure 12″ x 12″ each. I decided to do more wavy quilting on this one…thought it was appropriate with the whole fish/water theme!
Someone asked me how I did this type of quilting on the Mermaid pillow last week. I used the Running Stitch on my machine (Bernina 440QE stitch #4, looks like a zigzag) and maxed out the width and set the length to around 4. It created these lovely wavy lines.
The final quilt measures 36″ x 36″. I think it’s the perfect size for a playmat or draping over the baby on a walk or in the car.
I pulled another set of fabric centered around Sarah Jane’s Children at Play line and I made another little boy quilt from that for my shop. It’s all quilted and waiting for binding – I hope to share that with you next week!
May 31, 2012 37 Comments
Hooray, I’ve finished my Parisville quilt! This quilt was made using a fat quarter stack of Tula Pink’s Parisville fabric.
This fabric is a work of art, with hidden images in the prints. Just beautiful!
These blocks were not hard to make at all. I cut out 8.5″ squares from the fabric and then I cut those diagonally into large HSTs. Then I cut strips of Kona Snow, 1″ x 13″. I sewed those down the long side of the HST and then placed another HST on the other side of the Kona Snow stripe. Square up to 8.5″ and you get a square with a white strip diagonal down the center. If you are not totally accurate with your 1/4″ seams, that’s ok (just be consistently not accurate so it all lines up in the end. ). Simply cut your squares at 9″ instead and then square them up to 8.5″ when you are done.
For the back I used Kona Cerise and a Kona tan color that I’m not entirely sure of the name right now. I added a simple strip of Parisville fabrics to the back.
The quilting is free motion stippling. The binding carries over the same color as the diagonals, I feel like that really ties the design together. The final quilt measures 56″ x 64″ and will probably be listed in my shop shortly. If I can let it go.
September 29, 2011 37 Comments