It’s done! I ended up spending all evening working on the dress for the sew along. Probably not the best idea because I made several mistakes (
one of which still needs to be fixed done!), but I do think it turned out quite well. The brown isn’t as dark as it appears in these photos.
I found this cool button in my button drawer. I really never buy buttons, I just save all the extras that I get with shorts and pants.
In the spirit of full disclosure, here is just a handful of the many mistakes that left me hating my seam ripper:
1. Put the button loop too low – my bad karma for putting on a button, my daughter hates buttons.
2. Assembled the yoke wrong – fixed
3. Top stitched pockets wrong – fixed
4. Top stitched the pockets closed on the dress! – fixed
5. Top stitched the bottom of the pockets in dark thread (looked bad) – fixed
6. Attached the front yoke to dress wrong and now I have an exposed seam inside –
will fix today fixed
Please tell me you all also occasionally have sewing disasters. (Hopefully everyone is nodding in agreement right now.) Really, this dress is not *that* difficult. I certainly made it harder than it was. I will either blame it on mommy brain, my inability to follow written directions, or sewing in the late night. But now that I have the hang of it, I will probably make more. Definitely love the dress!
Here it is with it’s new owner…coordinates quite well with a Hello Kitty band aid if I do say so myself.