Better late than never, I’ve finally finished my family’s new picnic quilt. I started this one as part of a blog hop last May. That’s May of 2012. I ended up spending a lot of the summer working on book stuff and then I wasn’t motivated to work on a picnic quilt in the winter, and well, you know how it goes. (right??) So the quilt top sat and sat until a day before our trip up to the lake for the 4th of July.
This quilt is a simple 16 patch, with the individual squares measuring 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ cut. The fabric is a mix of Maude Asbury’s Crabtastic line and fabrics from my stash.
The quilt ended up pretty big (for me) at 80″ x 80″. I really wanted to use fabric from my stash for the backing and binding, so I chose a black floral from Denyse Schmidt’s Chicopee for the backing and a text from Architextures for the binding. I’m hoping those will both hide the dirt a bit as we take this quilt out for some serious use at the beach and park. I quilted it loosely with wavy lines about every 2 inches.
We already tested it out while watching the fireworks over Lake Michigan on Thursday evening, and it was just perfect for the job. I can’t wait to take it along for the rest of Summer!
July 5, 2013 40 Comments
Look how great my 6 year old holds a quilt!
This month the Naperville Modern Quilt Guild had a log cabin challenge. We were all asked to make a 36″ x 36″ quilt with log cabin(s) in a modern way. Last night was the meeting and everyone came up with such great designs! Really, no two were alike. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone’s quilts and the thought that went into all of them.
I decided to make all white log cabins with tiny strips of bright fabrics randomly incorporated into the logs. The logs are various widths, from 1-1/2″ to 1/2″ finished.
This quilt was pretty improvisational. Although I had a plan for the blocks in my head, I wasn’t really sure about how to put them together. At first I was thinking about 1 giant block. Then it changed to multiple blocks. Then I decided I needed some separation to define the blocks. Ideas floated around from using neutral tan to narrow strips of color, stacked. But in the end I decided on larger color blocks.
I quilted this in straight lines, about 1/2″ apart.
The backing is one of my favorite prints from designer Anna Maria Horner.
The binding was also something that changed at the last minute. I was planning on doing bright scrappy binding, but after it was cut it just seemed like too much. So I went looking through my stash and my eyes were drawn to one of my favorites from Violet Craft’s Madrona Road – the black text print. I worked in a couple spots of bright strips just to echo the design of the blocks.
And in an Arkansas Traveler update…I finished the quilt top! It looks great and the backing just arrived. I am still deciding on the quilting, but that will be the next large project to tackle on my list.
March 29, 2013 30 Comments
So…this was the first round where I felt like I had a vision of how I wanted to combine some of the rest of the group’s blocks and start forming the quilt top. I really thought that Penny’s section and Jacquie’s section were meant to be sewn together, right where the negative space intersected. (See below where the Ash and White meet.)
Then for my addition, I added a scrappy section of diagonal turquoise piecing. I actually started working before reading Dan’s journal of inspiration, but it all worked out because in his journal, he wrote that he was inspired by Lu Summers, specifically this style of quilt. I think by breaking from the beginning theme of curves, I went in the direction of that inspiration. Also, in a nod to Lu, I add in some of her new fabric line Summersville. Finally, I think the vertical strip of turquoise echo’s the vertical strip that Penny added when she cut into one of Dan’s original circles.
The quilt is now off to Ashley!
June 8, 2012 15 Comments
When pulling fabrics for a child’s quilt, I seem to have a much easier time selecting prints, patterns and colors for a girl’s quilt. Part of my problem is that I tend to have a hard time finding “boy” fabrics that I like. But last summer Sarah Jane really hit it out of the ballpark with her Children at Play line. I just love her artwork, something about the innocence of the designs – paper airplanes and sailboats, hopscotch and dress up dolls, pinwheels and wagons.
I decided to take some of the little boy line and pair it with some of my favorite blenders in green, blue, yellow, orange and red.
It’s really fun to play with prints like stripes, sometimes aligning them horizontally based on the center of the block…
And sometimes vertically.
I quilted this quilt in a diagonal grid. It was the first time I used the metal guide that came with my walking foot. It was actually quite helpful! The lines are about 1.5″ apart. I marked the starting line and then just used my guide to work off from there.
The back is a lime green and the binding is a turquoise. The blocks are 12″ squares and the final quilt measures 36″ x 36″. I decided to list this little quilt in my shop – it is so lacking in boy items!
June 6, 2012 21 Comments