This week I decided to pull out my Halloween quilt UFO. I had planned on getting this done before Fall….but what can I say? I’m motivated by a deadline. I started this one last October and was too late for Halloween, but not this year!
I paired Tula Pink’s Nightshade line with Kona Snow and Oakshott Cotton from the Lipari colorway. You can read more about the Oakshotts here. I’m using my Prism quilt pattern. It’s a really fun, quick paper pieced design. I can’t wait to get it quilted and on my couch!
A bit of a Lighthouse Quilt Along update. I spoke with Windham Fabrics and they would like me to wait to share the finished quilt on my blog until after Quilt Market when it is displayed in their booth. So! That is at the end of October, so the quilt along will start a month later than I was thinking. Hopefully you all will still be excited about it then!
September 6, 2013 10 Comments
As soon as I saw these fabrics, I knew I wanted to make something with improvisationally cut strips. It’s a lot of fun to just skip the ruler and cut freehand with the rotary cutter. I love the slight curves and angles.
I plan on using these in a little improv coin quilt. Nordika is arriving now in stores and you can even watch a video about the fabric!
Nordika is available at my following sponsors:
Fat Quarter Shop
The Intrepid Thread
Pink Castle Fabrics
July 24, 2013 10 Comments
The super hot and humid weather this week gave me a good excuse to stay inside and finish up my latest quilt, Simply Triangles. I’ve been working on this quilt here and there, while I was on breaks from other commitments. It’s fun to have something new and original that I can show you right when it’s finished!
The prints in this quilt are all from Vanessa of V and Co‘s fabric lines, Simply Color and Simply Style. As I mentioned in my last post about this quilt, this wasn’t my original plan when I started cutting into the fabric. But I’m really glad I played with the triangles once they were created and came up with something fresh.
Each “diamond” is made up of 8 triangles. The triangles are a combination of 2 prints. I actually just cut strips from the layer cake, sewed those together, and cut my equilateral triangles from the strips. I *think* the strips were something like 1.75″ and 2″, but don’t hold me to that. They were all sized wrong once I started sewing them together in rows (because I changed my design idea midway through), so I had to trim them all after the fact. Which…is why there will probably not be a pattern for this quilt! I really made it up as I went along.
One new thing I tried for this quilt was using Heat n Bond Batting Tape to fuse two pieces of batting together. (Supplied by the kind folks at ThermoWeb). I was a bit nervous, but I planned it so the seam was behind the color section of the quilt top and it turned out great! You can’t tell at all that it isn’t one piece of batting. And you can’t see the batting seam through the quilt.
I quilted this one in a free motion meandering style. I think it will crinkle up really nice in the wash. The binding is white, just like the negative space. The finished quilt measures 55″ x 70″.
For the back, I decided to do some scrappy piecing. The prints are from Denyse Schmidt’s first line for JoAnns and the other two fabrics are just solids from my stash. Overall, a very happy quilt!
July 18, 2013 33 Comments
My daughter finished Kindergarten last week. I know everyone says it, but time goes by so fast! I feel like she was just a baby, and here she is, done with her first year of school. I guess there is no stopping the growing up.
She had such an amazing year at school. We were blessed with just the best teacher. She made school fun and constantly challenged the kids. I am blown away as I sit next to my daughter reading chapter books, when she really couldn’t read much at all only 9 months ago! I really wanted to make something special as a “thank you” for being a hugely important part of my daughter’s life over the last school year.
I completely copied Kelly’s quilt idea this time. The only difference is that instead of cutting 4.5″ squares for the corners of the blocks, I used 5″ charm packs. So this quilt top was made from 1 layer cake and 2 solid charm packs. The fabric is Kate Spain’s Honey Honey. My daughter said her teacher likes orange. That’s all the direction I was able to dig out of her. haha
The backing is a gorgeous floral print from the same line. The binding is an aqua print from Bonnie and Camille’s Vintage Modern line. I quilted a meandering free motion design. I ended up washing it after taking the pictures and it came out nice and crinkly.
It was a fun quilt to make. I’m so thankful to all the hardworking teachers out there. Onward and upward to 1st grade!
June 6, 2013 36 Comments