An Easter dress with a few days to spare! High five! Seriously though, I really waited until the last minute this year. Which is better than last year when I just bought a dress from Coscto. This time I knew I wanted to make my daughter’s dress. I’m not really sure how much longer she is going to want to wear things I sew for her, but I can tell you she is still very excited about it when I do.
This pattern is the Geranium Dress by Made by Rae. My daughter is 7, but pretty tall for her age. I made a size 8 and it fits perfectly, with a little room to spare. I’m hoping we can get a lot of use out of it this summer!
We chose fabric from Anna Maria Horner’s Dowry line, Twill Bouquet in Black. I love, love, love it. For the bodice lining, I picked a solid from Michael Miller’s Cotton Coutures. They are so soft and smooth, I knew it’d be a perfect choice.
The pattern was easy to make. It took about 2 hours. My daughter didn’t want the ruffle flutter sleeves, the pockets, or the notched neckline, so that sped things up! I made the pleated skirt option, rather than the gathered skirt.
The buttons at the back were super easy with Bernina’s automatic buttonhole foot. Whenever I make something with buttons, I joke that I just sit back with my coffee while my machine does all the hard work for me.
I have one very happy little girl who is now ready for Easter!
April 18, 2014 26 Comments
Yep, I’m one of the many Washi Dress fans in blogland. When I first saw the dress Rae made and wore at Quilt Market, I was seriously crossing my fingers that she would write a pattern. And when she did release the pattern, I think I bought it within a day or two. I am really impressed with anyone that can write a clothing pattern – so complicated! I love the little details in the neckline and the pockets.
The Washi Dress pattern was great. I especially loved that the pattern piece lines are all different colors, based on size. So no confusion as to what to cut. This dress took me maybe 5 or 6 hours. The first time I make a piece of clothing always takes the longest, and I’m definitely no expert. But I’m already planning a second with some of Anna Maria Horner’s Field Study fabric, and possible a third in voile.
I made a muslin bodice before making the actual dress. I ended up deciding on a size Small, with a couple adjustments. I have scoliosis so my shoulders are uneven. It’s pretty annoying. So I used a big larger seam allowance on the right shoulder to make up for that. I also am short. So I shortened the length of the dress 2.5″ so it would fall a bit above my knee.
You can tell how much taller my husband is than me from the angle of this photo!
The fabric is from Jay McCarroll’s Habitat line. I bought 3 yards of it last November with plans on making a dress, after seeing this dress from the Sewing Summit. The fabric has a bit less drape that I was hoping for, but I do love it (even if it is a bit wild).
August 21, 2012 24 Comments