I hope you aren’t tired of seeing these blocks, but I have good news for you if you are. These are the final few! I am done with the paper piecing and will be completing the quilt top and quilting this week. I’m really excited to share with you the finished quilt soon ~ and the story about how I came up with the blocks and design.
Last week I had a big delivery on my front porch – many, many, many copies of my paper patterns. I am happy to announce I’ve been picked up by a few wholesale distributors (Brewer, Checker, and E.E. Schenck Co.). If you are a shop owner and buy through one of these companies, I hope you will consider carrying my pattern line. They are already listed at Brewer, Checker (search Fresh Lemons Quilts as the Vendor) and hopefully will be up soon at E.E. Schenck Co. And for you non shop owners, you can still buy patterns (paper and PDF) in my online shop here on the blog.
I spent a bit of time yesterday working with my daughter on her Halloween costume. She really likes these bird wings (found here and here). I usually don’t really make costumes – I know, I know. But this one seemed pretty straight forward and we are able to make it together. She of course picked out 2 of my most hoarded out of print fabrics (the orange Henna Garden by Sandi Henderson and the Pink Coriander by Amy Butler). Looks good in the wings though! If we don’t mess the project up too much, I’ll share the finished costume here next month.
Ok, back to work finishing the Modern Solids quilt!
September 22, 2014 14 Comments
I’m back with my finished Halloween quilt! This turned out to be a fun quilt to put together and even though it’s not October yet, I’ve already set it out in the family room.
I mentioned in my last post that I used my Prism pattern for this quilt. I did shrink the blocks down a bit…not sure why – ha! That’s what happens when I finish a quilt a year after I start it. It probably has something to do with the limited amount of fabric I had (only fat quarters of the Nightshade prints and only fat 1/8ths of the Oakshott cottons). These blocks ended up 6″ finished. The quilt measures about 48″ x 54″.
I quilted with a meandering free motion design. I did a pretty wide spaced meandering, hoping it will wash up a bit less stiff than a tighter quilting pattern.
The backing is two of my favorite prints from the Nightshade line. The binding is the left over from one of the backing prints.
Overall I think this is a great quilt for Halloween without screaming “Orange and Black!”
September 13, 2013 27 Comments
This week I decided to pull out my Halloween quilt UFO. I had planned on getting this done before Fall….but what can I say? I’m motivated by a deadline. I started this one last October and was too late for Halloween, but not this year!
I paired Tula Pink’s Nightshade line with Kona Snow and Oakshott Cotton from the Lipari colorway. You can read more about the Oakshotts here. I’m using my Prism quilt pattern. It’s a really fun, quick paper pieced design. I can’t wait to get it quilted and on my couch!
A bit of a Lighthouse Quilt Along update. I spoke with Windham Fabrics and they would like me to wait to share the finished quilt on my blog until after Quilt Market when it is displayed in their booth. So! That is at the end of October, so the quilt along will start a month later than I was thinking. Hopefully you all will still be excited about it then!
September 6, 2013 10 Comments