Today I’m sharing my third project from Vintage Quilt Revival, the Cross Point Quilt.
This quilt is loosely inspired by medallion quilts, with the design focus being on the center of the quilt. The blocks are placed on point.
For the quilting, I decided to quilt pebbles in the grey area and free motion meander in the white area. I won’t lie, the pebbles took a long time! I did a corner a day over a 4 day period.
I just really love this block. Here’s a scrappy version I made during testing. It is a paper pieced block.
The last week has been pretty exciting, watching the book pop up here and there. Besides being available in my shop, you can also find it now shipping from Lee, Katie, Fat Quarter Shop, The Intrepid Thread, Barnes and Noble, Walmart…not sure what’s taking Amazon so long but it’s still listed as a “pre-order” there.
So that’s it! Three shares down, three to go! I can’t wait to show you the rest!
December 6, 2013 19 Comments
I’m back with my finished Halloween quilt! This turned out to be a fun quilt to put together and even though it’s not October yet, I’ve already set it out in the family room.
I mentioned in my last post that I used my Prism pattern for this quilt. I did shrink the blocks down a bit…not sure why – ha! That’s what happens when I finish a quilt a year after I start it. It probably has something to do with the limited amount of fabric I had (only fat quarters of the Nightshade prints and only fat 1/8ths of the Oakshott cottons). These blocks ended up 6″ finished. The quilt measures about 48″ x 54″.
I quilted with a meandering free motion design. I did a pretty wide spaced meandering, hoping it will wash up a bit less stiff than a tighter quilting pattern.
The backing is two of my favorite prints from the Nightshade line. The binding is the left over from one of the backing prints.
Overall I think this is a great quilt for Halloween without screaming “Orange and Black!”
September 13, 2013 27 Comments
Phew! I’m back from a week away on vacation, my daughter has now officially started the 1st Grade, and I am finally finding a bit more time at the sewing machine! In fact, yesterday I managed to finished quilting and binding my latest quilt, Patchwork on Point.
This quilt features a variety of fabrics from Heather Dutton for Modern Yardage. You can read more about these particular fabrics in this blog post. I paired Heather’s fabrics with a few coordinating prints from my stash. I really love the colors in this quilt. I think it would be good for a girl or a boy.
The design is simple, squares on point, but I created a bit of interest by grouping prints in sets of four. I wanted this quilt to have a fluffy look and texture, so I only quilted the negative space in a free motion meandering design. The quilt measures 45″ x 45″.
Some of you may be wondering how this one washed up, since the Modern Yardage fabric has the design printed on it. I didn’t use any special detergents, just my Kirkland Free and Clear liquid from Costco (because I think the final recipient will be washing it in whatever they have at home). I would say it reacted as expected. A bit of fading on the darker colors. I don’t think it takes away from the quilt in any way, but just something to keep in mind as you select your fabrics for your project. You can read more about the suggested washing/drying for the fabric here.
I am donating this quilt as part of Katie of Swim Bike Quilt‘s 100 Quilts for Kids quilt drive. If you haven’t had a chance to link up your quilt to donate, you have until September 30th. It’s a great cause and a wonderful way for you to help in your own community. And there’s prizes too.
August 22, 2013 21 Comments
The super hot and humid weather this week gave me a good excuse to stay inside and finish up my latest quilt, Simply Triangles. I’ve been working on this quilt here and there, while I was on breaks from other commitments. It’s fun to have something new and original that I can show you right when it’s finished!
The prints in this quilt are all from Vanessa of V and Co‘s fabric lines, Simply Color and Simply Style. As I mentioned in my last post about this quilt, this wasn’t my original plan when I started cutting into the fabric. But I’m really glad I played with the triangles once they were created and came up with something fresh.
Each “diamond” is made up of 8 triangles. The triangles are a combination of 2 prints. I actually just cut strips from the layer cake, sewed those together, and cut my equilateral triangles from the strips. I *think* the strips were something like 1.75″ and 2″, but don’t hold me to that. They were all sized wrong once I started sewing them together in rows (because I changed my design idea midway through), so I had to trim them all after the fact. Which…is why there will probably not be a pattern for this quilt! I really made it up as I went along.
One new thing I tried for this quilt was using Heat n Bond Batting Tape to fuse two pieces of batting together. (Supplied by the kind folks at ThermoWeb). I was a bit nervous, but I planned it so the seam was behind the color section of the quilt top and it turned out great! You can’t tell at all that it isn’t one piece of batting. And you can’t see the batting seam through the quilt.
I quilted this one in a free motion meandering style. I think it will crinkle up really nice in the wash. The binding is white, just like the negative space. The finished quilt measures 55″ x 70″.
For the back, I decided to do some scrappy piecing. The prints are from Denyse Schmidt’s first line for JoAnns and the other two fabrics are just solids from my stash. Overall, a very happy quilt!
July 18, 2013 33 Comments