I may have set a record in amount of time to make a small wall hanging, but I’ve finally finished my Stardust quilt! This quilt is a small version (9 blocks) of the Stardust quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival. Several, several months ago, my aunt asked me to make a quilt to hang on the wall in her home. She gave me some size requirements and some colors she liked – golds, yellows, teals, browns. She loves flowers and nature. I didn’t really know of a lot of fabrics that fit those particular wishes until I saw Carolyn Friedlander’s Botanics line at Fall Quilt Market. I sent her a few design ideas from my new book and she told me to surprise her. Well….surprise!
Normally I like to take my quilts outside for photos in natural light, but since this is a gift and I absolutely did not want it to get dirty…and outside is covered in snow, mud and sludge…I decided to duct tape the quilt to the wall in our guest room for photos.
This quilt took me some time to put together, despite it’s small size. Since I knew this quilt would hang on a wall and people would probably look at it quite closely, I really worked hard to get things just perfect. I am so happy I took the time. These may be two of the harder blocks in the book but practice certainly makes perfect.
I wanted the design to pop and I also wanted this quilt to hang nicely (not too loosely), so I quilted a dense meandering design with thread to match the individual fabrics. I purchased Aurifil #2132, #4182, #2835, #1148 plus used the white I always use. This meant a lot of starting and stopping. I followed Amanda Jean’s great tutorial for burying knots during quilting.
I still need to attach a hanging sleeve, but this one will be off to it’s new home in the next week!
February 17, 2014 24 Comments
It’s been a pretty busy week around here. Last week I basted and started quilting my Stardust quilt. About the same time I came down with a nasty bug. During the weekend I was feeling ok one minute and sick to my stomach the next. Not fun! But I did make it to Cincinnati to celebrate my dad’s 60th birthday and am starting to feel like I’m coming out of the fog.
We came home Sunday night to watch the Superbowl (let’s not even talk about that! Big Peyton Manning fan over here…) And now I’ve been busy prepping for a trip to the Sinnissippi Quilters Guild in Rockford.
I did manage to finish my Safari Moon quilt top. This is one last peek (just before I completed it). I will be sharing the finished quilt in just a couple of weeks. I picked up some of the Animalia in Splendor fabric for the back. I just could not resist, it’s so fun!
I also have been thinking about this little quilt that I started over a year ago at Quilt Camp.
This quilt is based on my Poinsettia Mini Quilt Pattern, but it’s sort of morphed into it’s own design. Other projects have constantly taken priority over it, but I think I’m ready to push it back to the top of the list. I at least want it twice this size (to be a wall hanging), but in my dream world it would be lap sized. We shall see!
February 5, 2014 23 Comments
Today I’m sharing my third project from Vintage Quilt Revival, the Cross Point Quilt.
This quilt is loosely inspired by medallion quilts, with the design focus being on the center of the quilt. The blocks are placed on point.
For the quilting, I decided to quilt pebbles in the grey area and free motion meander in the white area. I won’t lie, the pebbles took a long time! I did a corner a day over a 4 day period.
I just really love this block. Here’s a scrappy version I made during testing. It is a paper pieced block.
The last week has been pretty exciting, watching the book pop up here and there. Besides being available in my shop, you can also find it now shipping from Lee, Katie, Fat Quarter Shop, The Intrepid Thread, Barnes and Noble, Walmart…not sure what’s taking Amazon so long but it’s still listed as a “pre-order” there.
So that’s it! Three shares down, three to go! I can’t wait to show you the rest!
December 6, 2013 19 Comments
I’m back with my finished Halloween quilt! This turned out to be a fun quilt to put together and even though it’s not October yet, I’ve already set it out in the family room.
I mentioned in my last post that I used my Prism pattern for this quilt. I did shrink the blocks down a bit…not sure why – ha! That’s what happens when I finish a quilt a year after I start it. It probably has something to do with the limited amount of fabric I had (only fat quarters of the Nightshade prints and only fat 1/8ths of the Oakshott cottons). These blocks ended up 6″ finished. The quilt measures about 48″ x 54″.
I quilted with a meandering free motion design. I did a pretty wide spaced meandering, hoping it will wash up a bit less stiff than a tighter quilting pattern.
The backing is two of my favorite prints from the Nightshade line. The binding is the left over from one of the backing prints.
Overall I think this is a great quilt for Halloween without screaming “Orange and Black!”
September 13, 2013 27 Comments