The super hot and humid weather this week gave me a good excuse to stay inside and finish up my latest quilt, Simply Triangles. I’ve been working on this quilt here and there, while I was on breaks from other commitments. It’s fun to have something new and original that I can show you right when it’s finished!
The prints in this quilt are all from Vanessa of V and Co‘s fabric lines, Simply Color and Simply Style. As I mentioned in my last post about this quilt, this wasn’t my original plan when I started cutting into the fabric. But I’m really glad I played with the triangles once they were created and came up with something fresh.
Each “diamond” is made up of 8 triangles. The triangles are a combination of 2 prints. I actually just cut strips from the layer cake, sewed those together, and cut my equilateral triangles from the strips. I *think* the strips were something like 1.75″ and 2″, but don’t hold me to that. They were all sized wrong once I started sewing them together in rows (because I changed my design idea midway through), so I had to trim them all after the fact. Which…is why there will probably not be a pattern for this quilt! I really made it up as I went along.
One new thing I tried for this quilt was using Heat n Bond Batting Tape to fuse two pieces of batting together. (Supplied by the kind folks at ThermoWeb). I was a bit nervous, but I planned it so the seam was behind the color section of the quilt top and it turned out great! You can’t tell at all that it isn’t one piece of batting. And you can’t see the batting seam through the quilt.
I quilted this one in a free motion meandering style. I think it will crinkle up really nice in the wash. The binding is white, just like the negative space. The finished quilt measures 55″ x 70″.
For the back, I decided to do some scrappy piecing. The prints are from Denyse Schmidt’s first line for JoAnns and the other two fabrics are just solids from my stash. Overall, a very happy quilt!
July 18, 2013 33 Comments