Category — Clothing
Amy over at Badskirt and Kate over at One Flew Over are currently hosting a sew along for the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress. I am playing catch up as I just returned from vacation, but I am making good time on the dress assembly. I will say I have spent some quality time with my seam ripper…who knew little “V”s and pockets were so tricky??
I’m making View A and chose a chocolatey Kona solid and a print from Sandi Henderson’s Meadowsweet collection for my dress.
Check out Amy’s blog for the sew along and the Flickr group for lots of photos and discussions. One of my favorites is Kate’s version in a Liberty of London print and an Anna Maria Horner Dolby Dot voile. She extended the bottom and ditched the pockets. I think it looks like a more grown up version.
It’s not too late to join in the fun and make a dress of your own!
July 26, 2010 3 Comments
Just the right dress for an active 3-1/2 year old. Made using the Miss Madeline pattern in size 5, minus 4.5″ in length. I am planning on saving more cherry fabric to add to the bottom as she grows taller. Start to finish, this dress took me about 3 hours. Fabric is from the Cosmo Cricket Early Bird line.
July 11, 2010 8 Comments
This dress has been in my head for quite some time. It is a combination of several pieces: this Flickr dress, the fabric combination from one of AMH’s Evening Empire dresses in her Little Folks voile line, and the Heather Ross smocked sundress.
It was fairly simple to make. Corinnea was kind enough to share some directions on her Flickr photo. I measured my chest and the desired length and made 2 panels with those measurements. I made the dress a bit A-line as well. I sewed the bottom strips on using french seams for a more finished look and to prevent too much fraying.
I followed the Heather Ross’s shirring tutorial I had used for my daughter’s sundress (detailed here) for the top and straps. Then I sewed the sides together and tried it on for fit. I ended up taking it in a bit more at the waist. Then I trimmed up the side seams and finished them off with a zigzag stitch to prevent fraying.
Overall the dress took me about 4 hours. The french seams added a bit of time, but I finished it in 1 nap time + 1 evening.
July 9, 2010 9 Comments
I mentioned before that I had been bitten by the clothing-sewing bug. Do not worry, I’m still working on my quilts (and getting close to finishing my Map of the States quilt), but there is something so fun about actually wearing something I made. And nothing compares to the patterns in the many Japanese sewing books available. I recently received a few that I ordered a couple weeks ago on Etsy.
I did a bit of research before ordering these books. The Purl Bee has an excellent review of sewing patterns from these books. They are almost entirely in Japanese, but the diagrams look great. I wouldn’t make your first article of clothing ever from a book like this, but if you have experience sewing garments, I think you’d be ok.
The most important tips I’ve come across is that the sizing is smaller than we are used to in the US and the pattern pieces do not include the seam allowances – you must add those yourself.
On with the fun! I’m always curious what patterns are actually in these books, so I’m thinking I might feature a blog post on each book as I go along. In the meantime, here are the books I purchased and a sample pattern from each one.
Check & Stripe Floral
Adult Couture Stylish Dress Book
Gauze Linen Cotton Natural Clothes
Simple Tunic and One-Piece Dress
April 7, 2010 1 Comment